Sunday, July 18, 2010

Sometimes you have to take the long way around

My second appointment Saturday morning was a real challenge.
I met with a husband and wife couple who are deaf.
The three of us sat down at their dinning room table with a blank pad of notebook paper and just muscled our way through the whole Medicare presentation in longhand.
I've long been known as a good communicator. But when people say this about me what they usually mean is "Jim likes the sound of his own voice".
To replace my voice with my sketchy handwriting for three and a half hours was scary. 
I write quite a lot but I edit and revise a lot too. When two people are reading the words as the ink dries you don't get to do that. Their spelling and penmanship were much better than mine.
My wife Jenna predicted that this would be a chance for me to focus on being economical with my words and message.
That it was. 
We got it done. Spent the needed time getting to know one another, did some proper 'fact-finding', worked through all the details involved in introducing the concepts and parts of Medicare, discussed their specific needs and opportunities... 
We did ultimately run out of time. We'll continue at another meeting soon. It will be good to have some time to let the information soak in and foment some questions.
I've shared on this blog before about how I often pray that God will make me able to serve the needs of the people who trust me to be their agent. This was one of those times for sure. 
It was a fantastic appointment!

No comments:

Post a Comment